Monday, November 28, 2005

Ho Hum. Reed Signs.


After months of failed negotiations, I was certain that I'd never see the name "Reed" on the back of any jersey associated with our club. Fortunately for me, I was wrong. The kid signed last Friday. I can't disclose the terms but I can tell you that my original estimation of a seven figure signing bonus was incorrect. Apparently they worked out some perks in lieu of a cool million. Not bad for a late second rounder.

We wasted no time in getting Russell Reed down to Puerto Rico on Saturday. A flight delay caused him to get to the stadium in the fifth inning but from what I hear, he was still able to dress and at least sit on the end of the bench. I can tell you from my own experience that it's a humbling start. He's in a foreign country. He doesn't know anyone. The stadiums are beat and the accommodations are worse. His own teammates will see him as competition. Some will know about his signing bonus and hate him for it. To make matters worse, the season started on November 11th and the team's cliques have already been established. The only way to get accepted is to produce. It takes an incredible amount of mental discipline to put everything else out of your mind and focus on the task at hand.

Knowing that Reed was playing video games in his parent's palacial residence just a matter of days ago, I seriously doubted he would make an immediate impact. I was wrong. Someone told me that on Sunday he went 2 for 4 with 2 RBIs. Coach put him in right field even though Reed was drafted to play center. That little switch alone would've thrown many players into a tail spin. Pretty impressive on Mr. Reed's part. The league doesn't play on Monday's but I'll be curious how he does tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, I'll breakdown my thoughts on what I saw at the Disney Tourney this last weekend and give you a glimpse of how I will approach this coming high school and college season. This will be good for me to lay it all out considering I have this new territory. And without fail, Performance Scouting, Inc., has emailed me a whole new batch of college players out of Georgia. Doesn't that kid ever quit?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home