Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Complete Game (Part I)


Since I'm in Georgia today, I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention Kris Benson and more importantly, his wife's antics. Kris went to high school up the road in Marietta, Georgia. If I'm not mistaken, his wife went to a rival high school nearby. According to the New York Daily News, Anna Benson criticized the New York Mets for attempting to trade her husband in part because of her alleged negotiations with Playboy to pose nude. "We would never, ever have signed with New York if they had said they were going to trade us," she told the paper as reported by ESPN.com news services. "I was Miss [Politically Correct] for the Mets the entire time I was there."
"I have no deal with Playboy," she added.

Okay. What is this "we" and "us" crap? I guess I'm confused. I've never seen her fastball. How many strikeouts did she throw last year? This is the same stunt I believe Mia Hamm pulled when Nomar was traded to the Cubs. This "we" and "us" stuff has to go ladies. Just keep cashing your paycheck (Oops, I meant your man's paycheck) and go decorate the house or something. But please don't get confused with who's really making it all happen.

If you haven't read my "Girl Hop" post from the other day, you may want to check it out.

Today I was at Macon University watching junior pitcher, Jackson Savard, for the second time in the last four weeks. Manny ranked him the 8th best RHP in both Georgia and South Carolina. I had an appointment after the workout to interview both him as well as the senior catcher, Mac Thomas. I happened to really like the catcher. Manny had him rated as a 48 (fringe prospect) with a future OFP of 53 (fair prospect). This was a bit low in my opinion. I also had a chance to re-scout the homeless man loitering around first base.

But the real reason I wanted to write about Savard and Thomas, is because they both have what I call the Sixth Tool. They also come from two very different backgrounds making it a great comparison as to how the Sixth Tool has impacted their play and ultimately their future potential. Savard is naturally blessed with pitching tools. He's always been the star player from little league, AAU, high school, and now college. He was drafted out of high school in the 36th round but his father decided it was best for Savard to take a full ride to Macon U instead.

Thomas on the other hand is not naturally blessed with catching tools. He has a small frame for a catcher; comparable to Paul Lo Duca. He wasn't the star player in little league, AAU, and high school. In fact, he was just an average catcher. It was no surprise that he went undrafted out of high school. He ended up playing for a community college in Florida (that's where I started watching him) for two years. Went undrafted after his freshman year and was projected as a possible 40-50 round prospect after his sophomore year but was passed up because he told the scouts he was going back to Georgia on a partial scholarship to Macon U. His junior year ended up being a break-out year for him. But the scouts passed him up thinking that it was a fluke. I, on the other hand, will go a bit deeper and tell you otherwise.

And I also need to tell you who I ran into at the Macon U field. You're never going to believe this. If you're thinking it has to do with Performance Scouting, Inc., you're freaking baseball ready!

(I'll continue this tomorrow. Donald DeSear is calling my cell phone as I type.)

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to keep playing baseball." - Pete Rose

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home