Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Swing and a miss.


Man, he just knows right where to pitch me. No, I didn't call my son for Christmas. And Doc, don't even ask me about my daughter because I didn't call her either. Somewhere in my cell phone is their mother's number, but I haven't spoken with her in two years and I doubt she even lives in the same city much less the same state. My son is 24 and my daughter is 31. I'll spare you from doing the math-- I was 18 when my daughter was born. Unfortunately I'd have to hire someone to do a skip trace search to find them or do one of those internet searches where you pay like $19.99 to get all their info. Sad thing is, I spoke with Goldie the day after Christmas regarding some college workouts in his area and I somehow remembered to wish him a happy Hanukkah. Here's a guy that I just met no more than a month ago (not to mention that I really don't like him) and I can wish him a happy holiday but I can't even pick up the phone and call my own flesh and blood to do the same.

But what was I going to say? Sorry I was never there when you needed me, but Merry Christmas! Doc said that would at least be a start. That I would have to initiate. Pay the money to find them or connect with their mother to get their information. But do something because in his clinical opinion I've gotten worse since we last talked.

Doc then brought up the blog. Of course, it was his hallowed suggestion that I write it in the first place. To my surprise, he was rather critical of the content. He said I really needed to express myself more. Let it flow and show the batter all my pitches so to speak. His perception was that I've been holding back and avoiding my personal issues. And that I wouldn't get much out of the blog if I didn't start to dig deeper.

Perhaps he's right. I've been writing since the World Series and it seems I'm no better off than when I started. If anything, I'm more angry and frustrated. I'm sure "Stat boy" and "PC Geek" have something to do with that but Doc says I can't keep blaming them. That I'm attacking performance scouting as merely a way to avoid delving into the real issues of my life. A diversionary tactic of sorts. Okay, I get that. He may have a valid point there. But . . . and get this . . . he went on to say that I should maybe give performance scouting a chance or at least be open to the idea. Of course, not as a way to replace my scouting philosophy, but as a way to enhance it. That way I could just move on and turn my focus back to solving the real issues.

Of course. Sure. Whatever Doc. Did you notice my haphazard nodding? You know, the type of nodding you do when you've completely zoned out on someone after hearing something totally absurd. Although I love you to death Dr. Rakes, you are on the club's payroll and I can't help but think you might be at least somewhat biased towards management and their newfound love for performance scouting when we talk. Of all people. . .

Et tu, Brute?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what if he's on the payroll - convenient excuse to ignore anything and everything he says. I agree that, if you are comfortable and believe that your approach is best, go with it. You notice he did not say "replace" , he said "enhance" - it's just one more little tool. If it can usefully comprise 10% of your methodology, you're better off. You not only satisfy the management critics (and get them off your back) but you've got in in context. It's simply information - to be used in conjunction with other information.

just my $0.02 worth :)

10:47 AM  
Anonymous WK said...

The ironic thing here is that most of the guys that are going to read your blog are the same sort of cybergeeks you are working with. Hang in there and stay true to yourself. The scouting is a critical piece to get the human element that does not show up on paper. Its sad if some organizations are downplaying its role.

By the way, you could seriously turn this into a book. The whole performance analysis vs traditional scouting and trying to figure out some balance would be a cool premise.

There is a hell of a lot of drama here. You just need a love interest :). But I guess you all could add that later when they buy the rights to the screen play.

Love the blog. Hang in there, and please keep writing.

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cutter, it's been six days. Where ya been. Can't wait to read what's next

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that James Frey is the author of this blog.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who is james frey?

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

James Frey is the guy that wrote a "memoir" that is a bestseller that eventually everyone figured out was false. His comment was meant as a joke about how Cutter is making all of this up as well, which I also totally think he is.

As many have said before, if you do 10 minutes of research, the baseball aspects, novel/cinematic writing, and some other details make it obvious fiction. Still makes for good reading though.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it really doesn't matter to me if it's real or not, i'm enjoying it, but it's been awhile, i hope he didn't stop

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cutter sucks

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't think he's coming back :(

7:33 PM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Et tu, Cutter?

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home