Friday, March 03, 2006

The Run Down


Today was supposed to be a travel day to Georgia but due to my conversation last night with Donald DeSear, I was instructed to remain in Tampa and cease all scout related travel. Both he and GM, Logan Cooper, were already planning to fly into Tampa International on Sunday to watch some of the Grapefruit League action. Only now I get to be part of their busy weekend agenda. Little ol' me. Apparently they've even reserved a conference room inside the airport hotel for all of us to meet at noon.

And get this-- I'm to bring my laptop and all hardcopies of scouting reports, prospect notes, and video that I've generated over the last year. DeSear also wanted me to bring the old three-ring binders that Manny had put together for the Georgia and South Carolina prospects.

When I asked why I'm to bring all this stuff, he simply responded that, "We just need to review what you're doing for us. Soup to nuts. All of it. " I called Toby Bradford, my old boss, and he said that it sounded like they're going to fire me. Gee, you think? I then called Manny and he said that's the same thing DeSear told him the day before he was fired. Once he arrived at the review meeting they immediately took all his stuff and then told him to not let the door hit him on the way out. I called the Doc but for some reason he's not returning my calls. Maybe I'm just getting paranoid for no reason, but I would really be more comfortable if the Doc made that diagnosis rather than me.

It goes without saying that I had a hard time sleeping last night. Of course, when I did catch a wink or two, I kept finding myself in a dark boardroom with who else but The Donald. He kept pointing his finger at me. His lips suddenly began to move in slow motion but nothing was coming out. Unfortunately for me, I could still make out what he was saying. Any guesses?

No matter what, I've decided not to bring a darned thing to the meeting. Nothing. Nada. Zippo. If they want my laptop (well, I guess it's really their laptop-- they gave it to me in the first place) good luck in trying to get it back. All of my notes, reports, and videos are priceless. I wouldn't know where to begin with trying to put a dollar value on that stuff. Good luck getting that too.

I keep telling myself that I'm probably getting paranoid for no reason. They're probably just going to tear me apart and force me to do more with Goldie and Carson. 31 years in the business. It's gotta count for something. I sure wish Doc was around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home