Monday, April 03, 2006

Plunked

I need to digress for a post. You need to first understand that I've been a supporter of Barry Bonds from day one. You simply can't imagine what it's like to put up with the media day-in and day-out. Like a broken record, they ask the same stupid questions over and over. But when they sniff something out of line-- you're fresh meat ripe for the killing. Guilty before proven innocent. You tell them "no comment" and they continue to ask the same question three different ways like you're all of the sudden going to answer the question. Without a doubt, it was the most tasteless part of my playing days.

So when I see Barry giving the media a cold shoulder and reacting the way that he does, I can't half blame him. In fact, part of me says good for him. Too freaking bad if they can't get past his smug look, condescending attitude, and arrogant answers. Leave the guy alone. And that's always been my stance.

That was until I read somewhere that he said his life was in "shambles."

Surely he can't be serious. Someone who makes over $20 million a year isn't going to get much sympathy from my end. Check out his salary since 1988. I look at someone like Goldie who always has a smile on his face. He's going to spend the rest of his life tied to a wheelchair. He's never going to walk again. And as far as I can tell, he doesn't even have a steady income. You don't hear him saying his life is in "shambles." As a matter of fact, he's just thrilled to be around the game of baseball. Thrilled to have a minuscule opportunity in scouting. And yet, Bonds, who is chasing one of the greatest records in professional sports history, finds his life in "shambles?"

This afternoon I drove past All-Children's Hospital in St. Petersburg, Florida. I would suggest that he walk into the cancer ward and talk with some of the kids who might not make it past the All-Star break. Then let's see if he still thinks his life is in "shambles."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to that! The best post you have had so far in this blog. Keep up the good work.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cutter - I see some problems in your post. Earlier, you rationalized your anger over poor play and a lack of mental focus by claiming that the players in question did not respect the game. You said the game was part of you and selfish play made you angry because it threatened the game's integrity. But here you defend Barry Bonds, whose use of steriods undermines the integrity of baseball's most exalted record -- the hallowed home-run mark.

What's more, you say the media asks stupid, repetitive questions and Bonds justifiably treats the media like dirt. I wonder, is your reaction to the media similar to your reaction to questions that Doc asks you?

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home